Thought of the Day

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going. ~ Jim Ryuh

Friday, April 1, 2011

Shedding the Winter Blahs

I don't know about anyone else, but I am so ready for the cold weather to be gone. This week has been heaven-the weather, perfect. I have been able to break free from the indoor track and take my feet and mind to the great outdoors. There is a sense of freedom that comes with running outside, and I LOVE IT!
If you are anything like me, you tend to hibernate once the weather gets below 60, ok maybe 70 degrees. The colder the weather gets, the faster your motivation to stay active, disappears. Why exercise when you can stay in a nice, warm bed and cuddle up to some hot chocolate and a good book?!
Well, that time has ended. YAY! Don't get me wrong, I like hot chocolate and a good book, but I am a very active person and after awhile I go stir crazy if I can't be out in the sun. (Don't ask why I live in Utah, then. Love it here for many reasons, but the snow is not one of them).
I have to admit, I struggle to stay motivated during the winter. I have to constantly remind myself how hard I've worked throughout the rest of the year, and that stopping  for 4 months will only throw me backwards. I get tempted to eat unhealthy because of my lack of motivation, but then I feel worse if I cave into the junk food. Trust me, it is much easier to maintain than it is to stop and start over again. However, it is better to stop and start again, than to never start up at all. I look forward to spring because it is much easier to find my motivation and stay in "my happy place".
So, people- do you find that you get stuck with the winter blahs? If so, now is the time to get out of hibernation, shed those blahs, find your motivation and get moving again. SPRING IS HERE-Enjoy it! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment