Thought of the Day

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going. ~ Jim Ryuh

Sunday, May 15, 2011

My First Marathon

**Warning-this is a long story, so take a seat and relax.

I will never forget the day the "seed" to run a marathon was planted in my head. It was in June 2005, one month after I had given birth to my youngest child. My friend Angie had moved in next door to me a few months prior, and within a few weeks after Alex was born, she and I began to run together in the mornings.
Within a month after we started running, Angie suggested that we run a marathon together. HA! I just laughed. I was a sprinter, not a distance runner. Her comeback: "That was in high school, and you're not in high school anymore." I didn't say another word. Although I would dodge the subject whenever she would bring it up, the thought was growing in the back of my mind, along with doubt.
And then, in June 2007, I met Holly. A group of us were on vacation in The Bahamas when I was officially introduced to her. We hit it off instantly. She was a runner; I was a runner. We both brought our running clothes on our trip, and so we ran together each morning. We were half way through our run on the first day, when she asked me if I had thought of running a marathon. I explained to her that I had a friend that was trying to talk me into it, but it wasn't going to happen. Then, she explained that she was training for her first marathon that October-the St. George Marathon. Well, over the course of the week, she continued to talk to me about running a marathon together and how fun it would be. Although I came up with all sorts of excuses, that seed was beginning to grow into something more. Still, I politely declined the invitation.

Not more than two weeks after returning from that trip, I had come to the decision that I was going to run my first-and only, marathon. Running a marathon has never been a dream of mine, nor was it on my "bucket list", yet I had two friends that believed that I could and should do it, and from that I found the desire. Soon, the desire turned into a challenge (and I can't resist a good challenge). I was used to running 1-2 miles a day, so I didn't think that stretching it to 3 would be a big deal. Right..........
I soon found that training for a marathon took more than just running. This was the point in my life when I realized that most things are 2/3 mental/emotional and 1/3 physical. Once I figured that out, the rest started to fall into place.
Three months into our training, Angie announced that she was pregnant and would not be running the marathon with me. "Ok", I thought. This is a bummer, but Holly and I can still do this. The thing that got tough was that Holly didn't live by me, so that meant that the bulk of my training would be done alone. "Not a problem", I thought. I can do this.
January 2008: I ran my first 5K in St. George. I was excited and yet nervous at the same time. This was my first race since high school, and it was my first race ever that was longer than 200m. Holly and I took our families down for the weekend, and we ran together. Ok, I basically ate her dust-she was so fast! She was amazing. Through the entire race, I kept thinking "One day, I will be as fast as her".
I finished the race with a time of 31:22.4...........it definitely wasn't the fastest time that day, but I felt pretty good about it. I DID IT! I ran my first distance race, and I knew I was ready to tackle the next one.

So, I signed up for the Hurricane Half Marathon that May. I called my friend Holly to tell her to sign up for it, and instead she told me that she was pregnant and would not be running the marathon with me. For a moment, my mind went blank. Then, she said something that refueled my desire: "Brandy, it's ok- you can quit too. We talked you into it, and now that we aren't doing it, you don't have to." Right then, I said "No way. I have already put too much time and effort into this, so I am seeing it through." And so I continued to train for my marathon-alone. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise: it renewed my determination, it gave me a new sense of inner strength that I never knew I had, and it unleashed a new kind of passion in me for running. However, this experience also showed me my weaknesses-physically and mentally; and I have had to learn how to overcome those weaknesses.
Fast forward to October 2008. I just have to say, I love St. George-usually. I love how warm it is, I love the area. I packed ready for typical St. George weather-but, that weekend turned out to be anything BUT typical. Waking up at 3:00am that Saturday morning, I quickly found that I was unprepared (in more ways than one) for what lie ahead. First, it was raining-hard. Second, there were South winds, Third, it was cold. I should have taken those as signs to just stay in bed, but no. And, I am not the only one this affected: even those who run the Boston Marathon had a difficult time with this race that day. I like to remember that because it makes me feel a little better knowing it wasn't just me. :)
I proceeded to get ready, and at 4:30am I was boarding the bus to head up the canyon. The whole ride up, I tried to stay positive. As I got off the bus and saw 7000 people standing with me in the rain, I knew I wasn't the only crazy one-I also thought "If they can do this, then so can I."
Jumping ahead: The race started, and for the first 5 miles I thought "I am doing well. I am actually ahead of my training time, and I feel good." Hopefully it stays this way. By mile 10, it was still raining, windy, and cold-and I could no longer feel my fingers and toes. I still kept going, although I had begun to slow down. Then it happened on mile 14: all at once my knee and my ipod gave out. I wanted to just sit on the side of the road and cry. The weather and the marathon had gotten the best of me. I was cold and I was in a lot of pain. I had also noticed that it was around this time that a lot of other runners were boarding the vans to take them back to the finish line. "Just get in, it's ok. You did your best, and no one will fault you for quitting." That thought ran through my mind several times throughout the race. But then, my kids went through my mind and I knew I couldn't give up, no matter how much I wanted to. I have always told them that quitting is not an option. "You do your best, and when you start something you see it through to the finish." So, I continued on.
To sum it up: I was miserable. By mile 21, the rain had finally stopped and the wind was dying down. My hands began to thaw. But, my music was gone and I was still left with my thoughts and my injured leg.
As I crossed the finish line, I wanted to cry, both tears of relief and tears of joy-I DID IT! I finished the marathon, and although it wasn't pretty, I did it. As a matter of fact, it was downright ugly. I finished in 5:58:11.


Crossing the finish line at St. George Marathon

My husband told me afterward, that he had no idea I was injured until I stopped running. When I lifted up my capris, his eyes about popped out of his head. I wish we had a picture- my right knee was about the size of a grapefruit. I couldn't bend it for a week, and it was another month before I could run again. The doctor told me I would have to have surgery, which meant I would most likely never be able to run the same again. However, within an hour after the marathon, I announced I was going to run again the following year. "It can't get any worse, it can only get better." 

*stay tuned for more.............

No comments:

Post a Comment