Thought of the Day

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going. ~ Jim Ryuh

Friday, May 20, 2011

Overcoming Obstacles

OK, I know that my telling you about my first marathon experience was not very comforting or encouraging if you are even contemplating the idea of taking up running. It sounds anything but fun, right? In fact, it probably sounds painful, grueling, and overall dreadful. Who would want to spend their time and energy on something that could potentially wind them up in the operating room?
Trust me, there is a method to the madness. I chose to share my experience with you so that you can hopefully learn from my mistakes and make wiser choices. As I explain the rest of my story, hopefully you will see what I mean.

So, as I was saying- it really could not get any worse than what I had already gone through. Although I had never had the intention of running another marathon, my competitive side knew I was capable of doing better and so I immediately put my mind to it. I knew that I had "trained" the best that I knew how, but that was the problem-I didn't really know what I was doing. I had spent a little over a year just running and trying to build up my endurance, and that was it. I didn't train with anyone; I didn't read anything or ask anyone what to do because I simply didn't know those were options.
However, after visiting the doctor and hearing the news that he wanted to operate because my knee was toast, I instantly began changing things. There was no way I was going to let them touch my knee. Not that I don't believe in modern medicine- I have gone under the knife a few times because there were no other options, but I knew that there had to be another option in order to for me to keep running.
To try and keep my extremely long story a little shorter, let's just say that I spent A LOT of time looking things up on the Internet, reading running magazines, watching and talking with other runners, etc. I got new running shoes, I tried different things (gels, chomps, running belts), I changed the way I ate (I began to eat healthier), and I changed the way I train. I didn't just run, I strength trained as well. As it turned out, that saved my knee. As I strength trained and ate healthier, my body got stronger. Then, I began to take some amazing supplements-which, for those of you who know me, you know I hate taking pills. But I took them faithfully, and along with the other changes I made, I became stronger and healthier than I have ever been.
One year later, it was time for the St. George Marathon. This was the day I had been waiting for, and I knew I was ready. I was up at 3:30am getting ready. As I got ready, I began to get butterflies in my stomach- I peaked out the window........no rain. Not even a cloud in the sky-whew! At 4:30am, I found myself boarding the bus once again. Slowly, my stomach started to tie into knots, but I quietly rode up the canyon, listening to other runners chatting nonstop. I began to engage in some conversation, and it took my mind off of my nerves.
As we pulled up to the start line and got off the bus, I found myself looking around and instantly I thought "What was I thinking?"
I paced and stretched and tried as much positive self talk as I could muster. Deep down, I knew I was ready. I was just having flashbacks from the year before, and my fear was trying to get the best of me. Luckily, my will won out, and I told myself "This is it. The only way back is on your own two feet. Suck it up and just move-you'll be fine." (I know, I am so nice to myself-but I have to "tough-love" myself at times).
The next thing I know, I am looking in amazement at 7200 other runners from all over the world. To me, this is such a cool feeling! People from all walks of life, from all over the world-we don't know one another from Adam, but we all share this one passion, and this one event has brought us together. Oh, I can't even begin to describe how that moment makes me feel. It's very empowering.
Then, the race starts. My nerves quickly fade as I turn on my music and find my rhythm. So far, my experience is completely different: no rain, a little chilly, but overall nice. My energy levels were up, and my knee felt great. My confidence was in check, and I felt mentally prepared. By mile 8, I was still trucking along and feeling good. I found myself running at a faster pace than I was during training, so I was very excited.
Mile 13: feeling a little tired, but I was running an average of 9min/mi. and so I knew I was doing OK.
Mile 18: BAM! That was when my knee had had enough. I could feel it stiffen and it was throbbing. Thankfully, my iPod was still going. I just kept focusing on my music and the beautiful scenery, and tried to ignore my knee.
By mile 22, I wanted so badly for the race to be over. I kept telling myself "you're almost there", and I still tried to ignore my knee. Finally, I saw it- mile 25. I mustered up every ounce of energy that I could possibly find within myself, and I ran my heart out for that last 1.2 miles. Finish time: 5:13:19. Not what I was originally on target for, but much better than the previous year. My overall experience: HUGE difference from the year before.
St. George Marathon 2009

Here I am, four years after I first began my journey toward my first marathon-and still, no surgery. I continue to get stronger and healthier, and my races get better and better. I have three goals for every race: 1-Finish. 2-Don't finish last. 3-Improve on my time every time.
I am happy to say that I accomplish these goals every race. People told me in the beginning that "Once you run a marathon, you become addicted." I thought they were crazy. Who in their right mind would want to continually run 26.2 miles for fun? But now, I realize: It's not the 26.2 miles you get addicted to, it's the sense of accomplishment and the endorphin rush, that's addicting. It doesn't matter if you run 3 miles, or 50. In the end, you walk away feeling like you have conquered something amazing, and you have. That is what keeps you going back for more. Well, that, and the way you look and feel. Your overall health is another addiction that comes with the territory.
My journey is not over-there is always another adventure around the corner. However, yours may just be beginning. What is holding you back? You don't have to go run a marathon, or even a 5K-but, there has to be something out there that will get you started on the path to a healthier and happier you.
Set your doubt, fears and old habits aside, and get out there and get moving! Enjoy life in a way you never have before, and let the doors open to new experiences. You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment