Thought of the Day

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going. ~ Jim Ryuh

Monday, June 27, 2011

Testing The Waters

After taking a week off from running (which drove me crazy), I felt good enough this morning to test the waters and hit the pavement.
Oh, it felt so good. I took it slow, and I only ran a couple of miles, but the good news is that everything went well. It seems that all of my injuries have healed enough-I just need to remember to take it slow during this first week back.
My advice to all of you that may have an injury of any sort: Always take it slow when you first get back into any form of exercise. If you are anything like me, you are anxious to jump right back into whatever you were doing before your injury, and at the level you were doing it at. However, by doing so, you will only increase your risk of re-injury. Be patient, and take things nice and slow. Once your body is used to the level of activity you start at, then increase your endurance about 10% per week, until you are back at 100%.
Another key element: remember the strength training. It's important to strengthen your core as well as the area of injury. When you have a strong core, the rest of your body is better able to handle the level of exercise you are putting it through.
 I am happy to be back. I wish you all a safe and injury-free summer. Get out and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Happy to hear you are up and running! I took a week off after Ragnar, too. My first run back was ugly but I slogged through it. Good tip with the strength training. I'm headed back to the gym in the morning. :)

    ReplyDelete